Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Graphite Giraffe finished at last


Had a few hours set aside to work on the Giraffe today and am pleased to say it's now finished, I've enjoyed using pencils for a change and am tempted to carry on with them to have a go at a lion from the many ref photos I took at Port Lympne last week.
First I have to pick up on my oil paintings of Lily the cat who has been sidelined while I took care of the artwork for last weeks exhibition.
I must admit that my studio is looking reasonably clean for a change do to the lack of pastel dust and painting gear............one of the long forgotten benefits of working with graphite, however I must invest in some proper masking tape as the giraffe very nearly came a cropper when I removed the tape fixing it to my board!
Now I can't decide which of these two handsome beasts should be my next graphite victim.........any suggestions?

3 comments:

geraldine.boley@googlemail.com said...

Beautiful Kay, more than fulfilled it's promise, love both the pics (loins, lol) looking forward to seeing which one you decide on

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work on the Giraffe,love the way you have created the background. Methinks the male Lion would be great to do, as the profile shot is quite nice.

pett paintings said...

Thank you Vic and Geraldine :-) I am getting rather nervous about the big male Barbary Lion pic as I think that mane would take froever in pencil? might save that one for a pastel or oil painting.........have plenty of time to think about it though as I intend to clear a few backlogged unfinsh'ds before making a start.